Volunteer with usTurn your magic ON
Volunteer with us
Our volunteers come from all over the world, and all walks of life. We are activists, photographers, university students, nurses, computer programmers and aroma therapists. We are writers, mechanics, bartenders, and out-of-work novelists. We are Christians, Muslims, Jews, and nothing-in-particulars.
The one thing we all have in common is that we are here to help in any way that we can.
We would love for you to join our team of dedicated volunteers!
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with us. Volunteers are the heart of Better Days, and we grow and succeed thanks to their love, support, and incredible contributions. We believe in the power of collective intelligence and team-work. Based on Lesvos, where Better Days was born in November 2015, we are now co-managing the following three projects:
- ECO-Hub, a permaculture and gardening center for asylum seekers and locals alike.
- Gekko Kids a school for unaccompanied & separated asylum-seeking children on Lesvos
- TAPUAT Child and Family support Hub for children and mothers from Moria camp
We are looking to recruit skill-specific volunteers on a per project basis to help us design and develop these projects with a focus on sustainability. Our potential volunteers should be able to commit to a minimum of TWO weeks. We need people who are confident and take ownership over their areas of responsibility (both practical and administrative), work with teams, and embrace the Better Days ethos.
We need people who fulfil at least ONE of the following requirements
- Teaching experience
- Field experience: previous experience in humanitarian assistance and/or relevant training
- Language skills: fluent language skills on at least one of the following languages: Arabic, Urdu, Farsi, Greek, French or on any African dialect. Confident spoken and written knowledge of English is a prerequisite.
- Business administration, accounting, management and other office experience
- Craft / technical skills: skill specific crafters, confident with infrastructure, experience in construction work, metal work, wood work etc.
- Permaculture and ecology relevant experience and knowledge
If these skills do not match your background and strengths please keep an eye out on our Facebook page, as our needs change!
When possible, we provide long term volunteers with financial support after they have volunteered with us for 30 days. If you feel you are a match, please send us your CV and/or a letter of intent to the following address : firstname.lastname@example.org
Looking forward to working with you in creating a better world.
”Even though the greater situation may feel hopeless, seeing how utterly grateful people are for the little things, like giving someone a blanket, tent, or pair of shoes, that makes all the difference.“
Frequently asked questions
WHERE CAN I STAY?
We hope that the information provided has been helpful and that you are ready to join us.
WILL MY PHONE WORK IN GREECE?
IS THERE A MINIMUM REQUIRED STAY?
IS THERE A MINIMUM AGE REQUIREMENT FOR VOLUNTEERING?
DO I NEED ANY SHOTS (VACCINATIONS) BEFORE I COME?
DO I NEED A CAR?
DO I NEED AN INTERNATIONAL DRIVER’S LICENSE IN GREECE?
- If yes, then you only need your driver’s license from your home country.
- If no, then it depends on the rental company. If possible bring one, but not always necessary.
I HAVE A SPECIAL SKILL, CAN I USE IT?
ARE CREDIT CARDS ACCEPTED?
CAN I DRINK THE WATER?
DO PEOPLE SPEAK ENGLISH?
Study up on useful phrases with these documents:
Volunteers: Greek/Arabic/English/Farsi phrase list (printable) (German version)
Refugee Phrasebook database (sort by language and select which ones to print)
IS IT SAFE?
SHOULD I BRING DONATIONS, OR CASH TO BUY ITEMS?
If you do bring goods to donate, help the warehouse workers as much as possible following some basic labelling and techniques used locally.