Better Days joins 20 civil society organisations in calling for the closure of the Samos Closed Controlled Access Centre (CCAC) due to the consistently inhumane conditions and degrading treatment experienced by people seeking asylum. In the meantime, given the urgent need for improved conditions in the CCAC, we call on the Greek authorities and the European Commission to respect fundamental human rights by ensuring the following:
- All people are adequately accommodated, including privacy and sleeping on a bed with a mattress and clean bedding.
- The unlawful de facto detention of people upon arrival and awaiting registration of their asylum requests ends.
- Vulnerability assessments are conducted for every applicant for international protection.
- Medical care is accessible to everyone, regardless of their legal status.
- Daily water needs are met and a long-term solution is found to solve water shortages.
- Food of sufficient quantity and quality is available to everyone and queues in food distribution are minimised.
- Transportation from the CCAC to other parts of the island is accessible to everyone.